Hey Mark

I'm a bit late on your issues, but after the vacation things got a little busy …

Hoss already explained a few things in his comment
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-4431?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=13596596#comment-13596596)
 on SOLR-4431

I'll try to bring a few additional thoughts: It all started with SOLR-2399,
moving the UI to a single-page app .. avoiding the (at this time) current
situation having multiple sites .. each for one core, so you had multiple
places where you could ask solr for its information about threads .. but they
are never really core-related, it's kind of "meta-information" which is valid
for the whole instance.

The page is using sammyjs (http://sammyjs.org/) as Framework, and therefore
includes the # in the url. Like hoss already explained, everything after the #
isn't sent to the server and can therefore directly be controlled on the
client-side in your browser.

Because i don't really know which browsers users use for the UI (and it seems
there are at least a few IE-Users out there ;o) i tried to avoid using fancy
stuff which will only work in newer browsers. Having said that .. in theory you
can avoid those # - but therefore you have to ensure that every single url
which is used by the UI is correctly handled by the Server (think of switching
details on the plugin-site)

Using the Tilde was a try to distinguish between stuff that is core- and
non-core related, otherwise (also like hoss already said) there would be a
conflict if the user uses (for whatever reason) a core named java-properties,
threads and so on.

the "/solr" part is based on the fact, that you could install multiple webapps
into a servlet-container and they have to be mounted on a path. that could
clearly be root (/), but i guess there are reasons why does wasn't used in the
example package - but the UI will work anyway, because the information on which
path solr is running is inject in the page while its initially loaded

If i did miss some questions you'd like to know things about .. just let me
know :)

Stefan