Thanks Mike,

I checked the previous releases: 4.0 and 4.1 was correct (I know this as I
checked them). I also downloaded the 4.2.0 tgz file and it has Java 7 style
javadocs with AutoCloseable and was built with 1.7. At the time of releasing
4.2 I was not checking this, as I was outside at a customer and had no time to
review the artifacts. :(

I already discussed with Joe Darcy from Oracle to make a Maven Artifact from
older rt.jar files, so you can refer to them with javac/javadocs's
bootclasspath, although you use newer Java to compile. But rt.jar is licensed,
so cannot be released unmodified on Maven Central (and it is huge!). My idea to
workaround this (and also limit download size) was to write a ASM-based
processor, that takes an existing rt.jar, and transforms all public,
non-internal (java.*, javax.*, org.w3c.*,...) class files in it to remove their
method bodies, so only "hulls consisting of a "return" statement  stay alive.
Then you can use this tiny, signature-only rt.jar file for compiling (as
javac/javadoc bootclasspath). You could also provide it in Maven Central, as
the Java API (means the signatures) are not under copyright (see Google vs.
Oracle lawyers).

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler