On Apr 15, 2013, at 3:52, Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com> wrote:

> I'm having trouble on an Ubuntu 12.10 box, using Java 1.7_07 and Python 2.7.3.
>
> I was able to build and install both JCC and PyLucene, apparently
> successfully.
>
> I can "import lucene" in Python and print lucene.VERSION and confirm it's
> 4.2.1.
>
> lucene.initVM(lucene.CLASSPATH) succeeds.
>
> Yet, there are no Lucene classes in the lucene module?  When I print
> dir(lucene) I just get this:
>
> ['CLASSPATH', 'ConstVariableDescriptor', 'FinalizerClass',
> 'FinalizerProxy', 'InvalidArgsError', 'JArray', 'JArray_bool',
> 'JArray_byte', 'JArray_char', 'JArray_double', 'JArray_float',
> 'JArray_int', 'JArray_long', 'JArray_object', 'JArray_short',
> 'JArray_string', 'JCCEnv', 'JCC_VERSION', 'JObject', 'JavaError',
> 'PrintWriter', 'StringWriter', 'VERSION', '__builtins__', '__dir__',
> '__doc__', '__file__', '__name__', '__package__', '__path__',
> '_lucene', 'findClass', 'getVMEnv', 'initVM', 'makeClass',
> 'makeInterface', 'os', 'sys']
>
> Am I missing something silly...?  Shouldn't Lucene's classes (eg
> FSDirectory) be visible in globals() in the lucene module?

The one big change on the PyLucene side is that now Lucene classes are in a
package structure that mirrors the Java one. Thus, to get FSDirectory you now
need to:

  import lucene
  from org.apache.lucene.store import FSDirectory

Besides providing initVM() and a few other things such as JArray, importing
lucene also installs the org package tree.

Andi..