From: geeky2 [mailto:gee...@hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2013 9:01 PM
To: dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: RE: have developer question about ClobTransformer and DIH

i still have a disconnect on this (see below)

i have been reading on the informix site about BLOB, CLOB and TEXT types.

*i miss-stated earlier that a TEXT type "is another type of informix blob" -
after reading the dox - this is not true.*

I think what it comes down to is that a Clob "is-not-a" Blob.
<<

the informix docs indicate the opposite.  CLOB and BLOB are sub-classes of
smart object types.

what is a smart object type (the super class for BLOB and CLOB):

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/idshelp/v10/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.sqlr.doc/sqlrmst136.htm

what is a BLOB type:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/idshelp/v10/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.sqlr.doc/sqlrmst136.htm

what is a CLOB type:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/idshelp/v10/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.sqlr.doc/sqlrmst136.htm

what is a TEXT type:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/idshelp/v10/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.sqlr.doc/sqlrmst136.htm

after reading the above - my disconnect lies with the following:

if an informix TEXT type is basically text - then why did solr return the
two TEXT fields as binary addresses,  when i removed all references to
ClobTransformer and the clob="true" switches from the fields in the
db-config.xml file??

if TEXT is just text, then there should be no need to leverage
ClobTransformer and to "cast" TEXT type fields as CLOBs.

see my earlier post on the solr users group for the detail:

http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/having-trouble-storing-large-text-blob-fields-returns-binary-address-in-search-results-td4063979.html#a4064260

mark