Thanks Steve.

I'll only address a couple of your specific issues inline. We can
split the rest of the list if you'd like, but I think a lot of them
are on the same page in the wiki (although multiple pages in the PDF)
- let me know.

Cassandra

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 7:29 AM, Steve Rowe <sar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 0. All examples in the exported PDF have an extra blank line at the top.  I
> was able to eliminate these from this page
> <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=32604227>
> ("What is an analyzer?") by eliminating the newline between the initial {code
> …} line and the first line of the examples.  This doesn't have any apparent
> effect on the layout of the page on the wiki, but the PDF export of that page
> no longer has the extra blank lines.  Any objections to switching all {code}
> examples in the guide like this?

CT: is it that horrible? There are dozens and dozens of code examples,
and it will take a while for someone to fix all of them. Since I edit
in wiki markup mode, I've always found it easier to add the line break
so my eyes can find the samples faster. That said, ease of use for
users is more important than my convenience, so if you think it's
badly distracting, then it's worth trying to fix it.

An alternative might be to try to change the CSS that produces the
code examples - the problem is that the default styling for the PDF
includes some padding, and then puts in the newline. Fiddling with the
CSS is painful though - we can't see the interim HTML and it's
essentially trial & error over & over.

So, it's essentially one of two annoying choices: edit all the code
examples by hand, or generate the PDF x-dozen times to maybe find out
the CSS approach won't work.

> 1. Pg 2: The section links from the TOC all take you to the previous page,
> rather than to the top of the page where the section starts.  (Same behavior
> on OS X Preview, and under Windows, on Firefox's built-in PDF viewer and on
> Adobe Reader.)  This looks like a general problem - see e.g. #34.

CT: This is essentially a known problem (see my comment:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-4886?focusedCommentId=13703660#comment-13703660,
last bullet point). The way the PDF is created is that Confluence
creates the entire document in an HTML page, which include bookmark
tags right before the different heading levels. When the PDF is then
generated, a rule is applied to insert a page-break before all h2
headings. That leaves the bookmark orphaned on the previous page. I
have never found a solution to this problem - you can't edit the HTML
and you don't have any control over where the bookmark tags in the
HTML are put before the HTML is converted to PDF. The only solution is
to never have page breaks, which I think severely diminishes
readability.

> 2. Pg 68: Stray asterisks in the <analyzer> tags in the <fieldType> example
> under "Analysis Phases", apparently to make the surrounded text bold (which
> also didn't happen).

CT: BTW, it never will - code examples are rendered verbatim, without
any of the styling normally applied.

> 43. Pg 106: Langauge-Specific Factories: Catalan, Danish, Irish and Romanian
> are missing from the covered languages; Catalan and Irish should include
> ElisionFilterFactory in their examples - there are articles lists in Lucene's
> {Catalan,Irish}Analyzer.

CT: A general note about the languages and examples - there used to be
examples that were incorrect so were removed so that might account for
some of the gaps. There's an open issue you'll want to look at before
diving in: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-5031.