From: ext Uwe Schindler [mailto:u...@thetaphi.de]
Sent: Friday, January 03, 2014 8:19 AM
To: dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: RE: The Old Git Discussion

Hi,

I fully agree with Robert: I don't want to move to GIT. In addition, unless
there is some tool that works as good as Windows' TortoiseSVN also for GIT, so
I can merge in milliseconds(TM), I won't commit anything.

I just note: I was working as committer for the PHP project (maintaining the
SAPI module for Oracle iPlanet Webserver), but since they moved to GIT 2 years
ago, I never contributed anything anymore. I just don't understand how it works
and its completely unusable to me. E.g. look at this bullshit:
https://wiki.php.net/vcs/gitworkflow - Sorry this is a no-go. And I have no
idea what all these cryptic commands mean and I don't want to learn that. If we
move to GIT, somebody else have to commit my patches.

And the other comment that was given here is not true: Merging with SVN works
perfectly fine and is easy to do, unless you use the command line or Eclipse's
bullshit SVN client (that never works correctly). With a good GUI (like the
fantastic TortoiseSVN), merging is so simple and conflicts can be processed in
milliseconds(TM). And it is much easier to understand.

Also Subversion is an Apache Project and I want to add: We should eat our own
dog food. Just to move to something with a crazy license and a broken user
interface, just because it's cool, is a no-go to me. We would also need to
rewrite all our checking tasks (like the check-svn-working-copy ANT task) to
work with GIT. Is there a pure Java library that works for GIT? I assume: No.
So this is another no-go for me. The checks we do cannot be done by command
line.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler