It happens with 1.8 too. I'm not really concerned what the technical
explanation is (i'm sure someone will say: you are holding it wrong).

one of the most important things about version control is being able
to track changes. if 'status' tells me my working directory is clean,
but then 'push' does something, that tells me its not ready for prime
time :)

step 1: make a commit to branch A

rmuir@beast:~/bogus$ git checkout master
Switched to branch 'master'
rmuir@beast:~/bogus$ ls
foo
rmuir@beast:~/bogus$ touch bar
rmuir@beast:~/bogus$ git add bar
rmuir@beast:~/bogus$ git commit -m "blahblah"
[master 1463733] blahblah
 create mode 100644 bar
rmuir@beast:~/bogus$ git push origin master
Counting objects: 3, done.
Compressing objects: 100% (2/2), done.
Writing objects: 100% (2/2), 241 bytes | 0 bytes/s, done.
Total 2 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0)
To g...@github.com:rmuir/bogus.git
   9f54f3b..1463733  master -> master

step 2: merge to branch B
rmuir@beast:~/bogus$ git checkout feature
Switched to branch 'feature'
rmuir@beast:~/bogus$ git merge master
Updating 9f54f3b..1463733
Fast-forward
 bar | 0
 create mode 100644 bar
rmuir@beast:~/bogus$ git status
# On branch feature
nothing to commit, working directory clean

^^^^^^^ see that shit? it says the words 'working directory clean' but it lies.

rmuir@beast:~/bogus$ git push origin feature
Total 0 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0)
To g...@github.com:rmuir/bogus.git
   9f54f3b..1463733  feature -> feature