FWIW,

Micro benchmark shows 4% gain on reusing incoming ByteRef.bytes in short
binary docvalues Test2BBinaryDocValues.testVariableBinary() with mmap
directory.
I wonder why it doesn't reads into incoming bytes
https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/blame/trunk/lucene/core/src/java/org/apache/lucene/codecs/lucene45/Lucene45DocValuesProducer.java#L401