I looked at it -- yes, this is the way to follow. You can save some
complexity by not keeping a github remote (if you work from one place,
a local feature branch is enough, no need to push/pull to github).

In case of Lucene you can also work on multiple svn branches and do
the switching using git... needless to say this is way faster than
using svn.

Dawid