On Oct 24, 2011, at 4:43 PM, Sean Owen wrote:

> A closed JIRA isn't gone. It's still there and searchable. Marking it
> WontFix with a note that it's open for reopening seems pretty clear to
> future readers. I suppose we wouldn't know, but, I don't have a sense
> that anyone has ever found a closed JIRA, wanted to work on it, but
> given up because it was closed and they didn't read further. But I can
> point to a hundred cases of the opposite.

You mean where it was left open too long and they didn't work on it?  I'm not
quite following your use of opposite here.  Negating the previous sentence
seems to imply they found open issues and worked on them, but I don't think
that is what you meant.

> If we're just talking about what to call these states, that's good.
>
> The only thing I truly don't like is a false "open" state, the "I'd
> like to think someone else will look at this" state. It seems like
> it's pro-community and some type of useful work, but I think it's the
> opposite. It's the kind of thing that discourages me personally, FWIW.

Way back when, it used to bother me, too, but then I came to the conclusion it
was the only way to capture user's interest in a reliable, structured way (as I
laid out before) and it was also the only way people could really see what
might be of interest for contributing and picking up the helm.  That combined
with the fact that time is limited and I can only control my own investments
led me to being all right with it.  I also subscribe to Yonik's law of patches:
 a half done patch is better than no patch at all, as it gives someone else a
starting point.

One thing we could do, however, is encourage people to vote for items they care
about more and then each release we stack rank them and try to work through it
as much as possible.  This may help spur people as to what to focus on.

> Well, just leave the "Unversioned" tag as the bucket for everything
> else. That's pretty good. I won't molest it; I might suggest we push
> some things there.
>

> Obviously the more important thing is to action some of the important
> changes *that really should happen in a next release*, 0.6. Then file
> some JIRAs for additional things that can and should be done in the
> next month or so.

+1