Hi there,

with regard to Robin mentioning JBlas [1] recently when we talked about
the performance of our vector operations, I ported the solving code for
ALS to JBlas today and got some awesome results.

For the movielens 1M dataset and a factorization of rank 100, the
runtimes per iteration dropped from 50 seconds to less than 7 seconds. I
will run some tests with the distributed version and larger datasets in
the next days, but from what I've seen we should really take a closer
look at JBlas, at least for operations on dense matrices.

Best,
Sebastian

[1] http://mikiobraun.github.io/jblas/