Hi,

the draft looks good overall, I have some minor comments inline:

On 22.12.2013 03:28, Suneel Marthi wrote:
> [...]
> the
> necessary infrastructure to support those implementations including, but
> not limited to, math packages for statistics, linear algebra and others
> as well as Java primitive collections, local and distributed vector and
> matrix classes and a variety of integrative code to work with popular
> packages like Apache Hadoop, Apache Lucene, Apache HBase, Apache
> Cassandra and much more. The 0.9 release is mainly a clean up release in
> preparation for an upcoming 1.0 release targeted for first half of 2014, but
> there are a few
> significant new features, which are highlighted below.
>
> To get started with Apache Mahout 0.9,
>  download the release artifacts and signatures at
> http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/mahout or visit the central Maven
> repository.
>
> In
>  addition to the release highlights and artifacts, please pay attention
> to the section labelled FUTURE PLANS below for more information about
> upcoming releases of Mahout.
>
> As with any release, we wish to thank all of the users and contributors
> to Mahout. Please see the CHANGELOG [1] and JIRA Release Notes [2] for
> individual credits, as there are too many to list here.
>
> GETTING STARTED
>
> In the release package, the examples directory contains several working
> examples of the core
> functionality available in Mahout. These can be run via scripts in the
> examples/bin
>  directory and will prompt you for more information to help you try
> things out. Most examples do not need a Hadoop cluster in
> order to run.
>
> RELEASE HIGHLIGHTS
>
> The highlights of the Apache Mahout 0.9 release include, but are not
> limited to the list below. For further information, see the included
> CHANGELOG file.
>
> - Scala DSL Bindings for Mahout Math Linear Algebra (MAHOUT-1297).
>    See
> http://weatheringthrutechdays.blogspot.com/2013/07/scala-dsl-for-mahout-in-core-linear.html
> - New Multilayer Perceptron Classifier (MAHOUT-1265)
> - Recommenders as a Search (MAHOUT-1288).  See
> https://github.com/pferrel/solr-recommender
> - MAHOUT-1364: Upgrade Mahout to be Lucene 4.6.0 compliant
> - MAHOUT-1361: Online Algorithm for computing accurate Quantiles using
> 1-dimensional Clustering
>   See
> https://github.com/tdunning/t-digest/blob/master/docs/theory/t-digest-paper/histo.pdf
>  for the details.
>
> - Removed Deprecated algorithms.
>
> - the usual bug fixes. See JIRA [?} for more information on the 0.9 release.
>

> A total 91 separate JIRA issues were addressed in this release.
>
> The following algorithms that were marked deprecated in 0.8 have been removed
> in 0.9:
>
> - From Clustering:
>   Dirichlet - replaced by Collapsible Variational Bayes (CVB)

I think we switched our LDA implementation to use CVB and removed
Dirichlet clustering, those are two different things, right?

>   Meanshift
>
>   MinHash - removed due to poor performance and lack of usage
>
>   EigenCuts -
>

> - From Classification (both are sequential implementations)
>
>   Winnow - lack of actual usage
>
>   Perceptron - lack of actual usage
>

> - Frequent Pattern Mining
>
> - Collaborative Filtering
>     All recommenders in org.apache.mahout.cf.taste.impl.recommender.knn
>     SlopeOne implementations in org.apache.mahout.cf.taste.hadoop.slopeone
> and org.apache.mahout.cf.taste.impl.recommender.slopeone
>     Distributed pseudo recommender in org.apache.mahout.cf.taste.hadoop.pseudo
>     TreeClusteringRecommender in org.apache.mahout.cf.taste.impl.recommender

We should be careful, because the package knn could make people think we
removed our itembased recommenders (already caused confusion on twitter).

I think it would be sufficient to say we removed a couple of rarely used
recommenders, in particular SlopeOne.

> - Mahout Math
>     Lanczos in favour of SSVD

IIRC, we agreed to not remove Lanczos, although it was initially
deprecated. We should undeprecate it.