I imagine in Mahout offering an option to the users to select from
different execution engines (just like we currently do by giving M/R or
sequential options), and starting from Spark. I am not sure what changes
needed in the codebase, though. Maybe following MLI (or alike) and
implementing some more stuff, such as common interfaces for iterating over
data (the M/R way and the Spark way).

IMO, another effort might be porting pre-online machine learning (such
transforming text into vector based on the dictionary generated by
seq2sparse before), machine learning based on mini-batches, and streaming
summarization stuff in Mahout to Spark-Streaming.

Best,
Gokhan