To set expectations appropriately, I think it's important to point out
this is completely infeasible short of a total rewrite, and I can't
imagine that will happen. It may not be obvious if you haven't looked
at the code how completely dependent on M/R it is.

You can swap out M/R and Spark if you write in terms of something like
Crunch, but that is not at all the case here.