> Are you saying that the values in the matrix are non-numbers?

No, our matrices are Real. but Anand was referring to row key support which
can be any type with a Writable view bound (in scala terms; also true with
their persistence in Mahout sequence file DRM format).

> Or simply that rows and columns are labeled?

rows are labeled. but they have algebraic signficance.

> I was trying to say the latter and add that the core of the matrix is
> entirely numerical.  This is certainly true of the in-core math.

True. But again, we were not discussing matrix elements. Just the labels.