On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 5:07 PM, Dmitriy Lyubimov <dlie...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 5:04 PM, Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > What i meant here it doesn't produce a p-value. or does it?
> > >

> > It produces an asymptotically chi^2 distributed statistic with 1-degree
> of
> > freedom (for our case of 2x2 contingency tables) which can be reduced
> > trivially to a p-value in the standard way.
> >

> Great. so that means that we can do h_0 rejection based on a %-expressed
> level?

Yes.  You can use LLR (aka G^2) to do hypothesis testing.  But in the
context we are using it, we are effectively doing millions or billions of
repeated comparisons.  Frequentist testing is hopeless in such situations
and any p-values that you get will be meaningless (as p-values).  Their
only virtue is that they will roughly sort the cases with interesting and
anomalous cases first.  The raw score does that as well so that getting the
p-value is just wasted computation.

A classic hypothesis testing framework is also somewhat compromised by the
fact that the LLR is only asymptotically chi^2 distributed.  For very small
counts, it is that close to chi^2 distributed, even though it is often
dozens to hundreds of orders of magnitudes more accurate than Pearson's
chi^2 test in such cases.

This table [1] from my original paper [2] on the LLR test shows what I mean:
[image: Inline image 1]

For the data that we typically see, np << 1e-3 so the p-values estimated by
conventional tests are really pretty horrible.

Can you say a bit more about what you are trying to do?

[1] https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36863361/llr-table.png
[2] http://www.aclweb.org/anthology/J93-1003