Ok (2) part of the problem is that this is a fix to taste recommender.
There are two problems with this: first, it is mrlegacy component, and
nobody these days cares so much maintaining these. Second, the author
of this code, who would be qualified to assess the validity of the
fix, has not come forward, which kind of goes back to the first point

To answer your further question re:scala/java: yes, with exception of
math module, which is the only non-deprecated module containing any
java, i think it is fair to say the rest of non-deprecated stuff
modules are Scala only (or almost only, i think h20 has some  java
code mixed in).