Hey Jim!

Would love to have you help out.

A first step might be familiarizing your self a bit with the Mahout R-Like
DSL Samsera:
https://mahout.apache.org/users/environment/in-core-reference.html
https://mahout.apache.org/users/environment/out-of-core-reference.html

A good place to start would be looking at the JIRA board for 'beginner'
issues https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAHOUT-1930?filter=12339671

The new algorithms framework is in place,
https://github.com/apache/mahout/tree/master/math-scala/src/main/scala/org/apache/mahout/math/algorithms

It is pretty sparse right now (read "ripe with opportunity")- you want
something a bit more challenging and there is a particular method you are
familiar with, you might try your hand at implementing it in that
framework.

Other than that- look around the code base / JIRA boards.  If there is
something that strikes you, give it a shot- we're happy to help!

And finally, I've seen you around the mailing lists on a couple of other
projects. If you happen to know any thing about migrating our website from
CMS to Jekyll- that would be a huge help too (though not as machine-learny).

Trevor Grant
Data Scientist
https://github.com/rawkintrevo
http://stackexchange.com/users/3002022/rawkintrevo
http://trevorgrant.org

*"Fortunate is he, who is able to know the causes of things."  -Virgil*