Mark Harrison wrote:

I'm sorry if this has come over as a rant, BUT the biggest criticism I hear
of the OpenSource movement among my corporate clients - people who could
change over tens of thousands of desktops if they wanted to - is that the
OpenSource movement is full of people who want them to buy because
"Microsoft is Evil", and aren't prepared to have a discussion about the
business requirements they have beyond the perceived need that they have a
moral responsiblity to "fight evil"!

I kid you not, the people I deal with use phrases like "I don't want to have
a religious debate", because of how the some in the OpenSource community
tend to portray the alternatives.
At the risk of being too ironic, amen!

I get this a lot, myself. The impression really comes off as being one that open source supporters are so partisan about anything anti-Microsoft that they are blind to some of the real advantages offered by some Microsoft products. It's like trying to watch the news on one of the evangelical Christian stations here in the States; the political agenda is such a distraction that it overrides any sense of objectivity, and without objectivity there is no credibility.

--

Steven Shelton
Twilight Media & Design