On 8/30/05, Erwin Tenhumberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > This I completely understand and is something that I struggle with
> > understanding for myself. That said our PR work is not very good right
> now.
> > I have posted for people to join me in increasing our PR with press and
> have
> > gotten little response other than to say I'm posting to the wrong list
> and
> > the only list they tell me to post to they say is not used anymore. I
> would
> > hope to have a better response to this at least from the leads. As of
> now I
> > don't know if anyone has contacts with the press and how they are using
> > them. But I do know that I really only see Louis quoted in articles. I
> would
> > like to hear from Bruce Byfield who he contacts to get information and
> what
> > type of people in the organization interests him to quote.
>
> Are you subscribed to the PR list?

  Yep and I put my post there and the dev list. I asked for people to
respond on the PR list because I thought it was more fitting and I was told
it doesn't belong there.

BTW, we probably also have to define some "rules" regarding public
> relations activities beyon press releases.

  That's kind of what I was trying to get organized.

I think everybody is open to additional PR, provided we have something
> interesting to say. However, I'm not a fan of wrong statements or
> controversial discussions just for the sake of getting press
> attention. For example, I remember a statement about a specific
> OpenOffice.org features, its functionality and its naming which
> were completely wrong and just reflected this person's own
> preferred strategy. It was not this feature, but a volunteer
> can't say OpenOffice.org 6.0 will have voice recognition and
> will run on any device just because I would like to see this
> happen. I can only make such a statement if I implement the
> feature myself or know for sure that this will happen.

 I completely agree. Really I just want it to get more organized. I would
like to see a team work on this with a solid leader heading it up. Someone
who will follow through with the team.

> Here are my thoughts on this. We don't sell a product. We make more money
> > by Novell selling their product and Sun selling StarOffice. We get this
> > money by them wanting to put development time back into OpenOffice. The
>
> It's easy for me to say this, because I'm working for Sun,
> but this statement is true.
>
> > Here is how I feel we should advance with this. Have 4 Main conferences
> we
> > go to every year. We then have 1 or 2 conferences that we vote on to go
> > each year. This would allow us to look at new conferences and provide
> for
> > conferences that are more regional, but important for us to be at.
>
> Focussing on a few major events definitely makes sense. What events do
> you suggest? BTW, keep in mind that there are people/communities outside
> of the US and Europe. ;-)

 I kept that in mind, but unfortunately it seems that most major events
happen in the US and Europe.
 OOoCON
OSCON (If we can get more developers there and do more talks)
At least 1 LinuxWorld
DLS if we can make it a OOoRegicon
A large Australian event.
Some event in India. It is of growing usage there and it seems to get good
press.
I would like to see us at an education conference also. That's how you
insert technology into the future.
 Otherwise what I would like to see is if we can get a booth and man it with
enough people with enough resources then just go for it.

--
Adam Moore
Community Volunteer