On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 21:27 +0100, Harris wrote:
> Chad,
>
> I think what Ian meant is that we can get Linux, Openoffice and
> opensource products for free. Some even ship the CD for free. The
> cut-price deal from UoM is very tempting and attractive. I believe it
> has made an impact on the students but will be a drawback if everyone
> just simply keep to the proprietary softwares because they cut price for
> some reason.

It seems a good deal mainly because the economic model for commodity
software has been such that the price has been kept much higher than
would otherwise be the case. When politicians want to make out they are
spending a lot of money they talk about billions spent on say welfare or
healthcare. When they want to show they are only taking a little they
say taxes will only rise a couple of cents per person. Of course the two
things can amount to the same thing. Its down to presentation and that
is what is relevant to marketing. As OOo marketeers we should not be
saying what a good deal it is when MS say they are cutting office prices
to $25 from $300 or whatever, we should focus on the fact that if they
can afford to drop the price that much and presumably still make money,
wasn't it a tad over-priced in the first place and for everyone else?
And look at how beneficial OOo is to the market. We have just saved you
$275 by providing some much needed competition. Too bad you are still
paying $25 more than we are charging and you still have all that license
key stuff to get in the way.

--
Ian Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
ZMSL