Hi,

Ian Lynch wrote:

>On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 19:00 +0200, Charles-H.Schulz wrote:
>

>Charles, why do you keep referring to the OpenDocumentfellowship as a
>"private" consortium? Its a public consortium in the sense that anyone
>can join as an advocate and members are in general members of the wider
>community that have something to offer as determined by their peers. Do
>you refer to other community projects in this way? Many members of the
>OpenOffice.org community are members of OpenDocumentFellowship but also
>there are members of the KOffice community, archiving people, OSC and
>people who are unaffiliated to any project. There is some overlap
>between promoting ODF and marketing OOo so I think for those people who
>are both members of the OOo marketing project and ODF members, a
>discussion of an ODF initiative is perfectly legitimate on the marketing
>list as would be a similar discussion relevant to say Firefox and OOo.

Actually, I was not criticizing the Fellowship or its concept. If you,
as you rightly put it, describe the fellowship as a different community
from the one of OOo, then this list is not appropriate for such
discussion. It's like if the Mozilla folks were coming in here and
started to talk, order beer, and started a quarrel between themselves
:-) ...

>>Your discussion, although interesting from a theoretical point of view,
>>

>I'd have said its interesting from a practical point of view. The
>petition has already generated publicity for ODF and for OpenOffice.org.
>It might or might not be successful in helping get MS to adopt ODF but
>if you don't make an effort you don't get anywhere. ODF is not
>interested in theoretical discussion, we are interested in practical
>activities that promote ODF as the standard for all players. As an
>independent group that is not specifically a subset of any other project
>or company we are in a rather good position to do that independently.

Fairwell, then. But my problem is a problem of list, not a problem
concerning the planning of your project.

>In what way? You can always just ignore the thread or filter it. If
>people take part in it its because they believe its important. If they
>don't the thread will die anyway. The only recent thread drawing similar
>interest is "Its hard to beat office king" I would have said that was a
>much more worthy candidate to go to social. Apart from that the list has
>been quite quiet so I don't see where all the hindering is happening.

Hmm... Maybe it is because of the whole thread that the list grew
recently quiet?
But let's stop our discussion here, Ian. You and I do not want to
transform this list in a talking shop, do we? :-)

Best,
Charles.