I have a fairly new (6 month old) laptop that came with Microsoft Works 7 installed on WindowsXP. I have never used, or even opened, any of the programs in Works on this machine, but after reading the note below I fired up the "Works Word Processor" to see what I could learn. It looks like Word but isn't called Word (some earlier version of Works, I forget the number, did include an unchanged copy of Word 2000). There was no indication that it was a "trial version" of Works or that there was an expiry date. Without knowing more about the software used by the person who started the thread on /. it's a bit hard to guess how to test this.

Cheers, Jean

Lars D. Noodén wrote:
Interesting. MS-Windows comes pre-installed with a trial version of MS Word which apparently expires after some time ... unless OpenOffice.org is installed.

The claim is that the trial version of MS Word will continue to function beyond the trial period only if OOo is present: If OOo is not there and the trial MS Word has expired, then MS Word will not open MS Word files. If OOo is installed and the trial MS Word has expired, then MS Word will open MS Word files anyway.

Is there anyone on the list who still runs Windows that has a machine that could be used to try to repeat the experiment. If the problem described in the Slashdot post is verifiable, then it would be serious marketing material for Ooo.

-Lars
Lars Nooden ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
    Software patents endanger the legal certainty of software.
    Keep them out of the EU by writing your MEP, keep the market open.