On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 23:02 +0000, Ian Lynch wrote:
> > I think I put a slightly different slant on this. I entirely agree
> that
> > the open-source communities which work best are the do-ocracies,
> those
> > which value people according to what they contribute. By contribute,
> > don't just mean posting to a mailing list, which can be just an
> > ego-trip. I mean people who actually contribute code (if a
> developer),
> > translations (N-L), artwork (art project), collateral (on a
> marketing
> > list), etc.
>
> What about people who actually get mass take up? Eg someone who goes
> into a company and persuades them to adopt the product? I guess this
> is
> more like sales but since marketing is the nearest we have to selling
> I'd say that would be a useful contribution and it might not get
> noticed. Ideally this would get posted to the list but it might not
> for
> a variety of reasons. Same is true of people who raise awareness in
> their place of work. Unfortunately, I think there is a lot of work
> that
> goes on that might not be either noticed or understood but if it helps
> get more users of OOo its of value to the project.

Let me give an example - the work that Bob Kerr did on getting OOo into
the public libraries here in Scotland. By itself, a useful piece of
distribution. However, what made it much more valuable to the MP was the
fact he took the trouble to write up a HOW-TO. This described what he
had done, but more importantly he showed how to apply marketing cliches
like "know your customer" in practice. His HOW-TO also got a good airing
on the geek press.

So, give your granny an OOo CD, you're a star; tell everyone on the MP
how you got her to accept it and pass it to her friends, you're a
superstar :-)

John