On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 15:49 +0200, Bernhard Dippold wrote:
> Hi John, all,
>
> John McCreesh wrote:
> > I'd like to canvass opinion among the marketing project for the launch
> > of a new theme: "Why OpenOffice.org"
> >
> > The proposal is that "Why OpenOffice.org" will be a major theme of our
> > campaigning in 2006 and for OOoConf 2006. The developments in the
> > MS-Office 2007 story mean we have a golden opportunity to explain to the
> > world there is a better way.
> >
> > The first task would be to create http://why.openoffice.org:
>
> This would mean a new project "why" ?

This is under discussion, whether the Collabnet infrastructure requires
we create a full project or whether there is another way. Louis and
Stefan are going to come back with some options.

> I think it's content is part of the marketing project, so I suggest
> it to be lead by the marketing leads?
>
> It's a good idea to create an easy starting point for the people we
> want to reach, this Internet address could be such a point.
>
> It could be linked from www.openoffice.org as well - but first it
> will have to be created.
>
> Another idea would be to use http://marketing.openoffice.org as easy
> access starting point with all the implementations you made for
> why.OOo and to move the present marketing homepage to
> marketing.openoffice.org/detailed.html - but for all these ideas we
> need volunteers spending quite a lot of time.

The plan would be to continue to use marketing.openoffice.org as a
workplace for the marketing project - i.e. inward facing.
why.openoffice.org would be outward facing, talking to people who are
asking why they should use OOo.

> > WHY will convey these messages in a simple, visual format, without the
> > 'clutter' of the standard project pages. Examples of this approach
> > already exist in some nl projects - http://es.openoffice.org is a
> > particularly good example.
>
> You talk about removing the standard nav-bars? This is done on
> several pages - even the main page http://www.openoffice.org works
> in this way IMHO.
>  >
>  > The WHY URL will permit memorable URLs such as
>  > why.openoffice.org/publicadministration/
>  > why.openoffice.org/governments/
>  > why.openoffice.org/smes/
>  > etc
>
> This would work for
> marketing.openoffice.org/publicadministration/ etc as well.
>
> In my eyes naming has to be as easy as possible, but the most
> important thing is someone who is able to do it!
>
> > I believe there is enough expertise across projects such as marketing,
> > art, web, and nl projects to create a stunning and convincing site.
> >
> > Are you in favour of this proposal and can you help?
>
> There are lots of work to be done on the present marketing pages -
> it would be great if this approach could bring people together to
> work on such a central marketing theme. I believe that the standard
> pages could profit from such a work!

The present marketing pages could do with a good spring clean - in fact,
the whole site could do with a good spring clean. We tend to add pages
as time goes by, but very rarely remove anything. However, I believe
there is a real opportunity now to grow market share thanks to MS-Office
2007, and having a good 'selling site' is a step in the right direction.

John