On Tue, 02 May 2006 03:20:52 -0500, Finn Gruwier Larsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Alexandro Colorado skrev:
For the past few weeks there has been a very big discussion about reasons and what and why not does OOo doesn't come with a PIM. The issue has extended a bit too much and I realize this is really puting a lot of pressure on prooject such as the marketing list to come forward with documentation on why OOo doesn't have nor plan to develop a PIM program for the near feature. Also detail more what are the alternatives on a far more indepth reasoning for using alternatives and even go as far as conecting this users to the developers of the alternative projects.

Outlook is part of MS Office, and people who are used to Microsoft products but novices in the open world often ask why OOo doesn't have an Outlook alternative. Technically, the reason is, i suppose, that there are lots of Outlook-alternatives in the open world, and OOo doesn't want to spend resources on inventing the wheel. But many people don't know the open Outook-alternatives, and Microsoft is using this in their FUD against us. I remember Ballmer once said that OOo "didn't even have a mail client".

I think the OOo Marketing project truely has a challenge in communicating this issue and pointing end users to good alternatives to Outlook.

Finn

Ok so the next step is how do we comunicate. I think puting an open letter explaining the reason why we don't have these might at least prove a stance on the issue. Not doing it will just be failing to communicate. I think the best option is to start working on mockups on how this open letter should be assemble and use the wiki to work on the draft.

--
Alexandro Colorado
CoLeader of OpenOffice.org ES