Nearly a year ago we started a discussion on this list about setting up
a site 'why.openoffice.org' to present the case for OpenOffice.org to
users in our target markets in a simple, pictorial form. At last year's
OOoConf I showed a sample of some brilliant designs from the Art project
for a 'why' site. We also talked there about focusing on the three
'bullet point' benefits of OOo: it's great software; it's easy to use;
and it's free.

While waiting for 'why' to appear, we've also used the 'why' URL to host
some tactical campaigns:
http://why.openoffice.org/getlegal.html (my favourite :-)
http://why.openoffice.org/keepthecar.html (now obsolete)
http://why.openoffice.org/yourchoice.html (still relevant)

The final 'why' site is taking shape, and as it matures we are looking
for ways to bring more people in to help. For those of you who want a
sneak preview, it's here (but I stress it is work in progress, so don't
expect everything to work, and please don't publicise the URL):
http://marketing.openoffice.org/tryouts/Why.OpenOffice.org

In the meantime, we felt that we couldn't allow the anniversary of 'why'
to come round without creating an interim version of a 'why' site. So,
after discussions with the MarCons, we've come up with a site which
captures the main messages in a simple layout, which is now sitting at:
http://why.openoffice.org

As always, comments are welcome, but please note this is only an interim
site, and I don't want to divert any efforts that we could use on the
final 'why' site development.

John