Most people fall into categories as they follow the main stream. We can define these categories in a survey and if for some reason they do not fit into one of the categories, we can always ask them to specify. We can use LimeSurvey (opensource/free) program that I can install on my server. LS offers automated result gathering, and it is a really good survey program. In order to market OOo, we need to tap into the mind of the main body, the public....the mainstream that everyone follows. And instead of letting them go whitewater rafting with MS like everyone else does, we will give them
an option of going with OOo on a beautiful FREE yacht in calm waters.

viktor

Alexandro Colorado wrote:
On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 16:19:26 -0600, Viktor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I see where you are coming from Alexandro. However, for surveys to be
successful with low margin for errors we need a bigger sample. I studied
sociology and psychology, and I learned that in any survey the sample
(people used in a survey) has to be big. 10 users will not represent OOo
community appropriately. Basing marketing strategies on a survey with 10
people participating would be disastrous. 10 people do not represent 6
billion people on this planet. The survey would have to be public, and be offered upon registration at the website, and we could redefine the survey during installation to match the websites format. They would be collected by a centralized database, and the results could be viewed real-time. We could set a specific quota for the survey and stop after we reach it, or it could be ongoing project, a sub-project of marketing as results would be used for market research and see what market share we own. Also, it would provide us
with another way of tracking the number of people who have OOo.

viktor

This is only true for statistical surveys. Which can't give qualitative data. Thats why focus groups are formed and usually cant be too big. Qualitative data has to do more with things like behavioral and decision making and involve more open questions because you can't predict the answer.

Having to review 6 billion or even 50 person open answers will be too task cosuming.

-----Original Message-----
From: Alexandro Colorado [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, January 01, 2008 4:31 PM
To: dev@marketing.openoffice.org
Subject: Re: [Marketing] Focus groups for OOo

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 08:06:38 -0600, Florian Effenberger
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi Alexandro,

happy new year!

So my first suggestion is to make a questionaire involving key questions
that will answer this 7 O's and we can get a better reference to our
targets on content and design.

Do you want to modify the existing questionnaire that is being asked for when installing the OOo vanilla distribution, or do you want to set-up a
completely different survey?

Florian

No I dont think the survey i am talking about obvey the goals of the
existing one that is being asked during installation. Actually I want to
avoid that metodology since we need a very direct response. The current
questionaire is more like an ongoing statistic of the users however the
results might vary or get very disjointed. That is why a focus group will
keep data to the point and have a starting and ending period.

So I hope we can get this project of the ground and be able to assemble a
good and diverse individuals into a focus group. We can start asking for
people wanting to join the focus group and then get a selection of just 10
users to qualify for this survey.