On 08/03/2008, Alexandro Colorado <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi, reading Doc Searls LJ column I came across something that we (the
> floss community) haven't been very forward about. Basically has been how
> much money can OOo make for your company. Notice that I mentioned make,
> NOT save.
>
> The interesting position is, does using OOo generates capital. Does the
> economy of scale of using OOo can generate capital?

Hi,

I have always understood that the way to earn money from FOSS is
through what you are doing, _not_ what you have done.  In this way the
idea of 'capital' being owned by a company or individual is an
in-appropriate model for making money out of Free and Open Source
Software - the capital is vested in the community.

As for ways of making money out of FOSS, well my company and others:
* sell training - and contribute our training materials to the community;
* consult on sustainable computing - and publish case studies as appropriate;
* get paid to write code - and the contribute it back to the code base; and
* maintain networks, etc - and document our work publically.

I'm sure there are other ways, but as I said, they rely on using
community capital and earning for what you are doing.  This is why
trainers should publish their training materials.  There is a near
infinite market out there, anything that reduces the barriers to entry
into the market place means that making money is easier.

rgds,
Richard

--
Richard Rothwell, [EMAIL PROTECTED]