Hi Martin, Andrew,

Martin Hollmichel wrote (31-3-2008 14:00)

I was the bad guy who removed all the links out of the document to non .openoffice.org domains. We tried since year that in official OpenOffice.org document there should be no links to non .openoffice.org domain. So by seeing the massive amount of the oooninja.com links was to remove them (without checking all the content behind those links). Right now I'm unsure on how to deal with this because most content seems to be very valueable for OpenOffice.org user. Thank you very much for all that work !

Since I found out that I also not discovered all external links I'm wondering what a good policy for those policies could be.

On the one hand I would something important as release notes also available offline with as much useful information as possible. But this is also difficult with that many links into OOo wiki.
On the other hand to cut off many useful links might be also problematic.

I see the dilemma. One thing to keep in mind, is that there's a risk when placing external links on the site: business people might try to use it to get more visitors, for advertising clicks or to find new customers. This may open the road for a competition, and/or lead to the need to set an arbitrary limit.

By looking at the current release notes I think they are much better than in the release before, but they still contain too many links to blogs, specification and issues and is too detailed at all.

Wrt your last remark: I think that a relative high number of people at OpenOffice.org ís interested in details and specs, technical background. So, after a clear and end-user-friendly description, links to this info IMO is ... a must.

Maybe it would be more useful to strip down these release notes into one document and just add one external link to the NewFeature document for further information.

Sounds OK at a first glance. I'm in for further improvement. The info from Andrew is very good in this aspect.

Kindest regards,
Cor

--

"The Year of 3" -2008- "Het jaar van 3"

Cor Nouws
Arnhem - Netherlands - nl.OpenOffice.org - marketing contact