Alexandro Colorado wrote:
So a few months back I was very excited by a random blog from a PC magazine who written a blog about Obama having OOo on american government offices.

I was forwarding on the news and publish through my 101 communication channels to publish the news even against some engineers prioritizing the issues of whenever this blog was acurate versus the fact that great PR fastrack warpzone to put OOo into the public concern.

Well certainly if you google now "Obama and OpenOffice.org" you will get TONS of links re-forwarding this single post. And as of now Microsoft is terrified that this could be truth sending their single biggest costumer switch to free and open source technology.

Now that Obama is elected president this rumor come again to the centerpiece having assigned a a CTO and probably getting bombarded by vendors (i.e. Microsoft) brainswashing him to keep with Microsoft. Question comes now, are we going to move anything about this or just stuck our head in the ground like the past PR chance. What do you think?

Alexandro,

In my view, this is a poisoned chalice. Unless Obama is willing to back OOo when questioned, any PR we try and generate will simply be hear'say. Sure, there may well be much truth in the statements, but in the cold light of day when MS get their marketing machinery in gear, and some journalist is made to ask a well-structured question...

I think that someone from Sun, IBM and OOo Community should meet in order to work out a strategy. We need to be careful how we 'frame' this statement of intent. We should aim to deliver some kind of strategy, rather than just salesmen.

I was shocked to read that Obama may be the first president to use a laptop in the Oval Office, and the first president to email. This isn't a change from a status quo, this is a blank slate which we have the chance to mark. Whilst his backoffice probably all use MS, it'd e a _very_ bold statement for the first president of the USA to use a Laptop, to then use OpenOffice.org ... but hey.. we can dream.

I think this is one of the few cases where I'd recommend pushing the principles ahead of the product. Even if Obama decides not to go with OpenOffice.org - he'll have a better understanding of the whole ethos of Open Source Software (especially if he's already interested, giving him more information is something he's likely to read).

Sorry if my thoughts appear fragmented.

Regards,

Andy