Hi Alexandro, Ian, all,

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 4:06 AM, Alexandro Colorado <j...@openoffice.org> wrote:
> This is something that Mkt has been lacking since its inception. There is no
> webdeveloper/artist/copywritter position and of course uploading rights to
> just coordinate a sitewide campaign.

+1. Marketing should work more closely in collaboration with the
website and art lists for upcoming campaigns/marketing materials.

> The policy of not touching the front-page is a big mistake since it give us
> little to work with. Most of the communication is obscure to the user, just
> like the 'why' campaigns and others.

The why campaign - from a website design point of view at least - is
not one of OOo's success stories. The new design has been shelved for
almost 2 years now. In the meantime, much of the information there is
now obsolete. The reason for its shelving was that the CollabNet
framework (template code) broke it for IE6 (I tried but failed at
making it work, though it can be done by excluding the Collabnet code
in the CollabNet templates). The existing design was broken in IE6
anyway until 2008 IIRC. It is also not ideal because of a break in
continuity and style; the design switches from the OOo website to a
website that looks very different. So there's one thing that the lists
could work together on :)

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 8:32 AM,  <ian.ly...@zmsl.com> wrote:
> IMHO if the marketing project means anything it should have full control
> over what goes on the front page of the web site. After all, it is the
> shop window for the project. The fact that the front page isn't in the
> control of the obvious community members that take responsibility for
> marketing says something significant about project management.

I would say the problem is a lack of concrete discussion; I'm sure
that if someone put forward a [specific] suggestion about what they
think would be good to have on the homepage / some other page(s) on
the OOo website, they won't be ignored.

- Ivan.