Hi Lutz, all,

Lutz Hoeger schrieb:
Hi Bernhard,

Please don't get me wrong, I am quite thankful for your effort to extend
project Unified ODF Icons into the marketing realm.

But at the same time, I would like to ask you to not duplicate the
discussion that already happens in disc...@ux.

I didn't want to duplicate the discussion, I just tried to summarize it as addition to your wiki pages because most of the people here are not subscribed to disc...@ux.

I tried to focus here on marketing and branding - I'm sorry, if this hasn't become clear enough.

In particular your action
list from "At first" to "Sixth" would be an excellent response to the
one I proposed about one months ago.

This list should not be more than a summary of the discussion on disc...@ux. All of these questions have been raised there before.

If I added a new detail here, I'm sorry - perhaps a discussion a Orvieto took it's way into this mail without prior notice on disc...@ux.

The main reason to summarize these points was to explain the present status of the project - having provided icons while the marketing and branding basis (enforce ODF branding while removing OOo elements from the document icons) needs further discussion to reach a consensus.

I am happy to explain any questions
about differences or to be more verbose in areas, where current and past
activities may not have been obvious enough.

It's not only about explanation, it's about finding a common way.

This way should include at least a clear marketing strategy - before we ask OASIS to support the in my eyes suboptimal icons.

I understand how the discussion on this list evolved, but it would make
life a lot easier if we could separate topics so that they fit the
respective mailing list. Here, I would expect a _marketing relevant_
discussion, just as it already takes place in some part.

I mentioned user surveys and questions on icon design - they might or might not be marketing relevant.

But the following points cover central marketing questions, so I'll try to concentrate on:

1. ODF branding is important, but should not lead to weakening of OOo branding on user's desktops.

2. The OOo document icons are part of our visual identity and therefore used in several marketing areas. We should not give up this chance as there might be an alternative (icons with both branding elements).

3. The highest impact of an ODF branding campaign would be reached with a combined effort by OOo, our distros, other ODF supporting products and OASIS. This would mean to include their marketing/branding thoughts on colors, application symbols and graphical themes.

4. Once we found a way to promote ODF and OOo at the same time, a marketing campaign should be started to raise attention on this work. From marketing POV it would be even better, if we could work together with OASIS, distros and other products. This campaign should have it's end point on the release of the new icons (probably in OOo 3.3).

Best regards

Bernhard