On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 12:05 PM, Christine Louise Beems <christ...@gozarks.com>
wrote:
I think you raise excellent points, Alexandro and I understand Florian's
perspective, too. And while it seems to me that both of you (and all of us)
are seeking to serve the same objective (ie: wise stewardship of community
resources) in terms of 'how expensive is expensive' I humbly suggest that in
any collaborative endeavor in order for an informed decison to be made about
the 'wise' allocation of funding or other resource, there must first be a
'marketing plan' so it can be determined whether the  (proposed) project
actually serves the marketing objectives that we (the community) seek to
achieve.

Well I think is a chicken an egg problem, the way we feel about the issues I raise will be the aspect that shape the marketing objectives and more. Meetings can serve to the marketing project as well of other projects in OOo, like NLC or Development. A proposal could achieve many marketing goals and still be very expensive and a cheaper option could be available that also serve the objectives. The point of this discussion is to evaluate the overal feeling of the marketing project about these issues.
That is, until we have ratified a marketing plan which clearly articulates
our (current) objectives, it is impossible to make a rational/logical
decision regarding the appropriateness of any (proposed) project funding
budget. Only after clear marketing objectives are ratified can specific
project costs (face-to-face conferences, exhibit booths, travel subsidies,
promotional materials stipends, virtual networking, etc.) be honestly (and
relatively easily) evaluated in proportion to the actual/potential 'return
on investment' being made by the community in the interest of (effectively &
eficiently) 'getting the word out' about OOo.

I fully agree with you on this point, and the marketing project should be able
to guide the processes to evaluate efficiency and stablish practice to gain the
maximum value for our participation.

Anyway, just my 3cents <smile>. ~Christine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alexandro Colorado" <j...@openoffice.org>