On 1/10/10 10:07 PM, Gianvittorio wrote:
Christine and all,
I am a managing director for a software company. In my daily job we have a
planning process that starts in september and ends in december. January we
start the year and we have budget set aside for all the activities planned for
the year (plus 10% I set aside for tactical activities).
I think we should start with a plan, that way the decision of whether to
participate or not and who, would have already been taken at the moment of
approving the budget.
Gian
i agree that we need a plan for at least one year to have an overview of our activities. And of course a clear goal. A list of events where we want to be present etc. But the decision if we can attend or who will attend is often depending on the event and the decision made there. Speakers for example are selected often short in front of an event. You see it would be difficult to nail this down before. And i think this is not necessary. We should more plan with fix budgets and should modify the numbers over time when we have more and more experience with the events and know how much money is needed. And often people get paid by their companies and don't need a sponsoring. This is also difficult to plan and depends on various things.

A minimum requirement for me for an event is to have a booth or stand with a demo and info material and staffed with a minimum of 2-3 people, so that at least one person is there at any time. Or to give a talk about OpenOffice.org.

Juergen

  On Sun 10/01/10 18:35 , "Christine Louise Beems" christ...@gozarks.com sent:
I'd like to (if at all possible) pull this thread together with all the
other various requests for funding but not in context of 'approving' (or
disapproving)... only as an open forum for discussing what 'we' (the
Community) agree to as appropriate expenditures from our marketing
purse.
That is, in terms of adopting a marketing plan this seems a vital
consideration because there are many, many, many 'right' (correct, good and
proper) ways and things upon which one can spend money, thus unless this
resource is limitless allocation decisions must be made.

And I agree very much with Florian, that 'trust among
leadership/volunteers' is essential for any organization to exist, let alone
thrive.

Still, in context of developing an organization with a 'high trust
culture', there are certain fundamental 'controls' or 'guidlines' which
leadership
must adhere to and (if necessary, hopefully gently and politely) 'enforce'
in order to demonstrate 'trustworthyness' in terms of allocating resources
from the coummunity purse to any various or particular project.

Yet the fact is that until such standards (controls, guidelines) are agreed
upon by community consensus, it is impossible for leadership to demonstrate
trustworthyness in the administration of community goods.

Thus the critical importance of deliberately thinking these things through
and arriving as some sort of general agreement which outlines the
'appropriate uses' of the marketing budget and prioritizes expenditures of
resources in context of our overarching strategic marketing plan.

Point of reference -- In the mainstream commercial/industrial universe,
there are only 2 acceptable types of expenditures from a 'marketing
budget'. The project and it's related costs (be these travel, brochure
production,
website development, newsletter distribution, etc.) *must* seek to either
intice new customers or reward existing customers -- and optimally it must
do both of these at the same time.

And while there are many various elements of the mainstream
commercial/industrial universe that I personally believe should be
abandoned, I also believe there are certain practices which work rather
well, with the qualitative judgement here being pronounced with respect to
'How well does the policy (standard, guideline, control) serve to empower
the well-being of the whole?' With 'the whole' in this instance being
already clearly defined as 'the strategic marketing of OOo'....

Again, just my 3cents. However, I will share that my (strong) opinions are
the derivatives of 40+ years of hands-on participation with various 'good
works' groups (including government) as a volunteer -and- an equal number
of for-profit organizations in a paid-professional capacity. And still, that
and $1-US will get you a cup of regular coffee at McDonald's everywhere...
.  ~Christine