Florian Effenberger wrote:

> I'm still a bit hesitant. Not many people showed their interest in a
> virtual-only conference.

Make it an online conference rather than a virtual one.

Virtual=not real. We want real communication, with real people.

Plus in marketing, we should be aware of how some words are loaded with
associations.  'Virtual' has dot-com baggage.

> Cc'ing d...@marketing if some more people want
> that. Otherwise we just might leave out the paragraph...

A framework (as in work flow) is lacking.  We need not just to find a
technological solution but also work out the practical steps to use them
and to make it easy for any one to join.  Like any other similar
(sub)project, this can't be done all at once.  Tools and methods have to
be worked with in small groups to figure this out.

I have started to look at options, and will try to not be so glacially
slow about it.  So far my list has voice tools:

        Ekiga (sip)
        QuteCom (sip) - formerly WengoPhone
        Twinkle (sip)
        KPhone (sip)
        pjsua (sip)

The idea is not to pick one, but to figure out how one or more can be
used in voice conferencing.  There is also scalability, some tools or
methods which are great for large groups will suck for small groups.

More complicated solutions include:

        Asterisk
        WebHuddle
        DimDim

I'm still looking for Whiteboards, but for small group writing new tools
like PiratePad look useful:
        http://piratepad.net/

Regards,
/Lars