Thorsten Behrens wrote (13-01-10 14:21)
Florian Effenberger wrote:
By the way, are there other "environment" criteria which might be added
for the CfL? For example, the overall "fuel consumption" to attend the
conference (based on the knowledge who usually attends), the use of
renewable energy or availability of recycling?
I'm still a bit hesitant. Not many people showed their interest in a
virtual-only conference. Cc'ing d...@marketing if some more people
want that. Otherwise we just might leave out the paragraph...

I agree with all of you that a pure virtual conference is a waste -
working in worldwide-dispersed team, I can tell you how much of a
difference face2face meetings are.

+1

Regarding the above mentioned environmental criteria - I'd consider
anything that has no direct influence on resource consumption (e.g.
flight miles - I've yet to see the airline that has to schedule an
extra plane for an OOoCon. And the additional fuel consumption for
an occupied seat, in comparison to an empty seat, is negligible. And
100 times negligible is still negligible.

Sounds fine theoretically. But is of course different in real life. If people seriously adapt their behaviour, that changes will have effect. And apart from that: one can see it as his/her own responsibility as well to act well.

 A different topic, of
course, is swag produced, paper wasted, taxi miles from city to
distant conference location etc.) not too different from green-
washing.

Yes, so many ways to do good :-)

Greetings,
Cor

--
 >> Your office 2010 software: the new OpenOffice.org <<

Cor Nouws
  - nl.OpenOffice.org marketing contact
  - Community Council member