Hi Rosana, *

Rosana Ardila Biela schrieb:
Hi Bernhard,

I think that your idea of polling the community for knowing how we think
and feel about OOo is very useful. But I also agree with Stefan on the
fact that that the impression of the community is different from the
general impresion.

I don't deny that. But this is not the question I wanted to ask in this thread.

So I would also like to focus on the way the whole
world and our users look at OOo.

For marketing this is important - as one of the facts we need to know in order to support or modify one or another aspect.

It's part of our marketing strategy to define the goals you ask in the next questions:

How do we want people to perceive us in
the world? How do we want to look like, so that it is compelling for
every user in the world?

After definition of the goals we can work on finding ways to communicate them to our (present and future) users - and visual design might be one of the possibilities to do that.

But I want to focus on another point you don't mention:

Our community lives not because we have millions of users, but because people identify with it and spend their time and expertise for the project.

What we lack more than even more users are contributors and active community members.

Everybody of us has one or more reasons to contribute to OpenOffice.org. I'm quite sure that these reasons are close to the properties of OOo everybody of us thinks to be important.

With a focus on these properties we could attract people not only to use OOo but to feel comfortable and start to identify with OOo. This might lead to an increased number of contributions.

It is important to be visually identified with the community, but from
my point of view the first priority is to create a visual style that is
appealing for users all over the world.

I could bet that a visual style focused on the positive properties and aspects of OOo our community members think to be important will be appealing for "normal" users too.

The main difference will probably be that the aspect of "free as beer" will not be that important.

But we seem to have different priorities. Of course it is important to attract new users and keep the present ones. For me inviting people to become part of the community is even more important.

Best regards

Bernhard