Hi,

Charles-H. Schulz a écrit :
Le Sat, 27 Feb 2010 10:56:43 -0500,
Drew Jensen <drewjensen.in...@gmail.com> a écrit :

I am unsure whether OOo4kids contributes anything of its own technology
back to OOo.

My advice : when you are unsure, do not post, because what you wrote
is plain wrong, and FUD.

I'll explain why :

- first, OOo4Kids does use LGPL V3 License**, fully compatible with OpenOffice.org source code, itself under LGPL V3 too. If anybody is interested to port any code we wrote into OpenOffice.org, we (OOo4Kids contributors) would be very pleased to accept the (back)port. Sincerlily.

=> technology contribution is possible

**to verify : the menu entry "License", is available from *anywhere* in
all OOo4Kids applications, and you can read: "OOo4Kids is released under
LGPL V3".

- second : I *clearly* proposed a backport from *any* code several
times, and I don't know why, but was not accepted. In fact, the issue look similar with Novell and go-oo, because both are under LGPL V3, but the changes are not accepted by Sun / Oracle.

Some links :
http://gsl.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=2267

The full thread :
http://gsl.openoffice.org/servlets/BrowseList?listName=dev&by=date&from=2009-04-01&to=2009-04-30&first=1&count=30

=> again technology contribution is possible

- third, on the OOo4Kids wiki page ( http://wiki.ooo4kids.org ), it is
clearly written everything is done to contribute back to OpenOffice.org, through OOo4Kids. Of course not everything can be backported (we cannot ask the students to provide professionnal code), but if a feature, a new idea desserves it, we'll ask/propose a backport. This is one of the objectives of OOo4Kids : having Fun providing new devs and new code.

=> again technology contribution is possible

- last, as proof of our goo will, after I asked to EducOOo C.A.) it was proposed that EducOOo,reverses money to the OpenOffice.org project.

Link:
http://eric.bachard.free.fr/news/2010/01/educooo-reversing-money-to.html

=> other type of contribution is possible

My conclusion is there is absolutely nothing against OpenOffice.org with OOo4Kids, excepted in your imagination.

Therefore I don't think it's a good idea to even consider it.

I read everything carefully, and in your mail, I only can retrieve negative things, and unjustified attacks against OOo4Kids (and undirectly me).

IMHO OpenOffice.org needs people who produce "solid" results, like code with core developers, or volunteers providing "mesurable contributions", but not people with a "destructive role" like the one you seem to play.

I don't have more time to spend with you. EOT for me, and welcome in my /ignore mode.

Eric Bachard
Lead,
OpenOffice.org Education project, and core developer for OpenOffice.org and OOo4Kids

--
Education Project:
Blog : http://eric.bachard.free.fr/news