From: Miroslav Mazel [maz...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 3:44 PM
To: dev@marketing.openoffice.org; j...@openoffice.org
Subject: Re: [marketing] OT OpenOffice vs. OpenOffice.org (was: Re:
[marketing] Color)

Hi everyone,

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 5:41 AM, Alexandro Colorado <j...@openoffice.org>wrote:

> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 10:29 PM, Chaosun <sunc...@redoffice.com> wrote:
>
> > Naming issue again. It makes no sense arguing somehow. Name is a name
> > anyway. People actually don't care about the names, if it changed, may
> cause
> > confusing or unconfortable. Let's please focus on the office suit itself
> > instead of those ichiness.
> >

> Wow people don't care about the name... seems you never study branding in
> marketing. Most of the time the brand "Google" can make an  office suite
> matter more than when it was called writley.

I agree that a name is important. I'm quite accustomed to the name
OpenOffice.org, I don't hate it, but if anyone suggested a really good
alternative, I'd be all for it. However, as it is, I haven't seen any good
suggestion so far. Putting something else than "org" behind the period
doesn't seem like a good solution to me, since it really doesn't even solve
the problem and destroys the connection to the web site (I actually like
this connection, as the user knows exactly what site to visit to get to
OOo's official page). A nice fix would be if the party that owns the name
"OpenOffice" allowed us to use it.
In any case, this thread can serve as a brainstorm for alternative names,
but it's not really an issue we need to focus on right now.

--
This is a site which donates money to a custom charity when you search
(Google or Yahoo!): http://www.neoaid.com/