On 05/18/2010 06:24 PM, Varun Mittal wrote:
> Hi Christopher,
>
> Of what understanding I have for an online office is servers and their
> management. And in line with what Miroslav said yes we can work on creating
> a host any where version of open office.

Provide an online service to allow remote users to access OOo on a
server is probably not that big a deal, technically.  A separate version
is not needed nor is it necessary to re-write the existing version,
though a re-write could be desirable for other very different reasons.
Buy some nice SPARC servers (or SPARC blades) from Oracle or Fujitsu,

https://shop.sun.com/store/compare/f3d8ef74-0a68-11dd-8282-080020a9ed93
http://www.fujitsu.com/global/services/computing/server/sparcenterprise/

set up a subscription service to manage restricted accounts, restrict
the accounts to run only OOo over FreeNX or VNC, ...

        http://freenx.berlios.de/
        http://www.tightvnc.com/

... dole out SSH keys for access.  You can run Debian Etch or
OpenSolaris on the SPARCs and use 'Ethernet Bonding' (aka channel
bonding) to spread the bandwidth load.

http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration#Howtocreatefaulttolerantbondingwithvlan.28Etch.29

It will cost money for the bandwidth, the hardware and the server room.
 You'll need a framework for the subscription and key management, but
that can be written in Java, Python, Perl or probably even Bash.

It will be necessary to have Portable editions of SSH and (VNC or
FreeNX) because environments where the staff prevent the use of OOo are
not likely to allow use of other applications either (been there, seen
that).

If any of that is interesting, then the discussion probably should be
continued on disc...@openoffice.org rather than marketing.

/Lars