On 05/21/2010 01:00 PM, eric b wrote:
> The problem I see, is a lot of schools have poor in RAM / old machines,
> and often  ... catastrophic network.

That last one, the network, is often a staffing problem too...
It's partially that there is virtually no IT education occurring
anywhere anymore and so staff appear to be selected for other reasons...

> Now, with those machines, OpenOffice.org + logo (or not) on the USB
> stick :)  ...  is just not adapted (IMHO).

Machine age is not much of a problem.  OpenOffice.org Portable seems to
work well on a P4 with 512MB of RAM, insofar as anything can work 'well'
on Windows.

You do give an idea for a marketing campaign and some data collection.
Have people formally order the installation of OOo in the classrooms
they use and track the process from start to end.  Many institutions
have 'supported' software, which is there and they will answer questions
about it, and they have 'unsupported' software which is installed and
runs, but their responsibility ends there.

If many people formally order installation of OOo (regular not Portable)
on school computers, even as 'unsupported' software, we could also at
the same time survey the obstacles.  What is the initial response from
maintenance?  How many tries does it take and how long?  How persistent
is the installation? (i.e. is it a one-off that vanishes with the next
'update' or reboot?)

Regards
/Lars