Ian, 05-09-2010 17:56:
 And perhaps if Go-OO harbors enough supporters, it may branch off
 Oracle completely.

Possibly, but for true independence and a chance of competing it needs
an income and I don't see much evidence of capability in generating it
at a level that will compete with the resource input of Oracle. So the
community is largely in Oracle's hands and will be for the foreseeable
future. In reality it doesn't make much sense to worry about Oracle
while it puts a lot of resource into development. If it stops doing that
then there is nothing much to lose from forking.

We don't need to fork that right now, but we should invest more on attracting investments. That will make it easy if we have to fork in the future and will help the project, anyway.

I believe that some players will focus on online office suites and the other won't help OOo if it's required to sign JCA/SCA. Google, IBM, Novel both contribute to OOo, but each one could expend ten times more, if that would benefite them.

We should focus on certification, donations, etc., as ways of making it easier to maintain the project without depending on some big player.