On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 7:52 PM, luiz <luizh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After many hesitations, so many doubts about the future of
> OpenOffice.org, Oracle has been publicly saying that "supports the
> software revolution". The more hurried they could understand that,
> finally, was a declaration of love Free Software. Concept is wrong! It
> is not hatred to Free Software and Open Source, of wanting to destroy
> the community, but made just one investment with the purchase of Sun and
> Investment needs to make a profit and only profit counts. On the ground
> the whole ideology and philosophy behind the Free Software; damned if
> the idealists, there is no more time for utopias. No more romantic, just
> business. Sustainability?! Shock in the traditional business model based
> on licenses? That's all gone. After a period of ten years OOo, start a
> new life for those who have the courage to oppose the Oracle returning
> to his mark, taking on new projects. For my part, my first reaction is
> to return the email @openoffice.org before they charge for it, despite
> being just a redirector. Home is a trend I'm calling "In what Oracle is
> Oracle and the community what is the community. We will be much happier,
> for sure. Follow me good!
>

> Luiz Oliveira

Many people been talking about this for a long time, however the community
has more insurance than just Oracle. If Oracle becomes some sort of SCO, we
can always rely on other vendors like Novell, IBM and of course the network
of NGO's across the world. I would really encourage communities to establish
an NGO and starts looking for funding. Even if it's just a donation button
on their xx.openoffice.org site. At least it would be community supported.

Novell did a smart move, and instead of holding it everything on themselves
they actually move it to freedesktop.org which is not a Novell site, rather
a FLOSS run site which holds technology from other projects like GNOME, KDE
and others. This means that even if Novell turns evil, they can't just
shutdown the servers because they have no access to them. Something that I
think we should be thinking, instead of just moving to a Oracle-funded Kenai
server IMO. I mean is not like CollabNet was sooooo awesome we couldn't move
away from it before.

There are also other forks going on like EuroOffice, OOoLight, RedOffice
etc. Also other open source suites like Symphony and KOffice. Which area
also not dependent on Oracle's top management. So I think we should be
careful, but not paranoid to think OOo will go away if Oracle decides to
pull the plug.

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* EspaƱol