Vincent,

Here is my 2 cents.

Maven is designed to have one artifact per project.  If a project produces
more than one artifact, imagine what will happen when 2 artifacts from the
same project are referenced as dependencies.

<dependencies>
  <dependency>
    <id>foo</id>
    <type>ejb</type>
    <version>SNAPSHOT</version>
  </dependency>
  <dependency>
    <id>foo</id>
    <type>ear</type>
    <version>SNAPSHOT</version>
  </dependency>
</dependencies>

The above causes a conflict.  If you calls pom.getDependency("foo"), it will
always return ejb but never the ear.

I'm not against your proposed modification.  Just that the change will cause
the above minor problem.

Regards,

Willie