----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Maven Developers List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, September 01, 2003 3:22 PM
Subject: Re: cvs commit: maven/src/java/org/apache/maven/jelly/tags/maven
SnapshotSignature.java

> "Emmanuel Venisse" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 01/09/2003 07:43:41 PM:
>
> > > Hey Emannuelle,
> > My name is Emmanuel!!!
> Woops, sorry about that. I thought I had it wrong as I typed it.
>
> > > what happens if the version is something like 1.3-SNAPSHOT?
> > >
> > > I'm -1 on this change for the above reason, as it breaks existing
> > > assumptions.
> > I think that current version is necessary in jar name for project that
> work
> > on several version/branch. When You download the jar, I think you want
> > know the version you use.
> ${pom.currentVersion} wont have a branch in it, so it doesn't solve that
> case.
Yes, but suppose (for example) that we want to release a daily version of
maven rc1 and maven rc1 refactor with the jar:snapshot goal. If we don't use
the version in jar name, we'll obtain for both jars
maven-yyyyMMdd.HHmmss.jar
Which corresponds to rc1 and which corresponds to rc1 refactor?
We don't have the problem if the version is included into the jar name.

> I can see why you want the version number, i.e. maven-1.0-rc1-SNAPSHOT.jar
>
> if that's the case, people can just do a jar:deploy or jar:install, no?
Yes, but if we want to create daily release, we'll use jar:snapshot.

> > For version that ends with SNAPSHOT, we can cut the end and make the
> > snapshot signature with current version without snapshot string.
> I'd much rather people put the -SNAPSHOT in the project.xml like we have
> now.
>
> > If you're always -1, I'll rollback my changes, but I think that's a best
> > practices to have the version in the jar name.
> I agree. What comments do you have on the stuff I wrote above?

Do you want a rollback or not?