On Wednesday, 3 September 2014, Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Actually, that's really bad news.
>
> When a person creates a work, the copyright belongs to the person,
> unless that person enters into a contract to assign the contract to
> someone else.
>
> When I see 'Copyright (c) Codehaus....', I assume that this is legit,
> and that (a) Codehaus is a legal entity,

Neither a Company nor a Registered Business Name with "Codehaus" in its
name, only a DNS name.

There is a Company that has been "trading/operating" as Codehaus, however
seemingly under Australian law you do not need a RBN. If Ben were in
Ireland he would have been required to obtain an RBN.

We could ask legal what the view in that regard is... I suspect they would
say: "it's probably worthless, but get an assignment from Ben's company
anyway to add to the evidence trail"

> and (b) that the authors,
> however many, executed a proper agreement to assign their copyrights
> to Codehaus.

Ben does not provide a means to track such assignments and has not received
any from what I understand, so not doubly false but just singly false...