Le dimanche 12 octobre 2014 10:04:04 Benson Margulies a écrit :
> One of Stephen's points is that the artifactId strings have an
> influence on the prose: a thing with artifactId maven-popcorn-plugin
> seems to lead, inexorably, towards 'The Maven Popcorn Plugin', which
> is bad. But, is 'popcorn-maven-plugin' really so much better? I do
> understand the logic that it seems to lead more towards 'The Popcore
> plugin _for_ Maven'. Still, it seems to me that enforcing one or the
> other in the plugin-plugin is not much of a substitute for the
> annoying job of looking at web pages and sending polite reminders.
the idea behind artifact id check in m-plugin-p is that the reminder can be
"sent" automatically: that's an easy first step

> think that my point here is not 'leave the plugin-plugin' alone, but
> rather 'don't mistake changing it for an automated solution to the
> bulk of our trademark enforcement responsibilities.'
+1 of course, automatic first step is just a first step
real TM check is more subtle

now is the artifact id detection pattern a good tool?
IMHO, if someone takes time to write a little code with indexer, we can check
in real world

look at
http://search.maven.org/#search%7Cga%7C1%7Cp%3A%22maven-plugin%22

write a report in dist-tool-plugin [1] that lists most recent plugins
published to central (like previous link), displaying for each plugin:
- groupId:artifactId:version, with warning if not following our convention
- name and description, which can easily be reviewed by human eyes
- url, to be able to review how the public site of the plugin is explaining
things (harder to review, since require to follow the link to review)
- emails, to ease engaging with the owner

With such a report, it would be easier to do real TM check (ie look at plain
english text), and know if automatic artifact id convention checking is a good
TM issue detection pattern (even if it is guaranteed to be not 100% accurate)

anybody interested in coding such a report?

Regards,

Hervé

[1] https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/dist-tool-plugin/site/