On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 10:36 PM, Anders Hammar <and...@hammar.net> wrote:
>> I recently took a look at the "release-profile" in Maven's super POM.
>>> It uses the "jar" goal of the maven-source-plugin to create the source
>>> JAR. Wouldn't it be better to use the "jar-no-fork" goal for that?
>>>

>> sounds definitively like a good idea...to change that...
>>
>> I have created an appropriate JIRA for it and fixed it.
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MPOM-64
>>

> The topic was the Super-POM (which is part of Maven core) not the ASF
> parent. (Even though there could be something similar i ASF parent).

Indeed, I meant the Super-POM in Maven core.

> This change could have a major impact so we really need to be careful! Does
> anyone know if there is a specific reason for choosing the 'jar' goal?
>
> /Anders

I guess it's just because the "jar" goal is about two years older than
"jar-no-fork" and in most build setup nobody will notice the
difference. Changing the goal to "jar-no-fork" might interfere with
Maven projects that generate source JARs outside of the
release-profile. But I still think that "jar-no-fork" ist the better
and correct option for the release-profile.