We try to move the code forwards, but old code bases are
"interesting"; you have to make sure you keep track of your goals.

What I am trying to say is that when I think of rouge threads writing
in unsynchronized data; I immediately get flashbacks of the gunman in
pulp fiction (Samuel L Jackson I believe) who appropriately misquotes
bible statements before killing people. This is the guy you're
bringing into your build.

I just tried to be entirely clear about the threading model that is
actually in effect in maven core, which actually works. If your mojo
starts writing to shared state from a different thread all hell will
be loose. If you do it from the correct thread, things should work. If
the problem is present when the mojo threads correctly, I'm all in
favour of fixing the problem. If the problem occurs because the mojo
violates the threading contract, I'm kind of luke-warm about fixing
the issue, since you will open the floodgates of mordor and all the
evilness of the old world will come seeping through the cracks.

But a fully concurrent maven core that does away with the one mojo one
thread model is a huge undertaking, and probably not worth the effort.
We had quite a  few interesting discussions on optimizing performance.
Right now I am working on fully concurrent zip creation in
commons-compress, this should come for "free" to all of maven in next
plexus-archiver release.

There is also stuff like the excellent discussions I've been having
with Vladimir Sitnikov  in
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MSHARED-394. Fixing that should have a
huge pontential upside.

Other than that; build performance is mostly about compiler-plugin and tests.

Kristian